As part of my SOAR focus this year (A=activate), I wanted to try new things, create new habits, make art to express my uniqueness….basically live the retirement lifestyle I envisioned for myself. Over at My Life Lived Full, Joanne reported on her year of 52 New Things, which aligns great with my year’s activate goals. And it gives me a great measurement tool and another list to keep (I love lists)!
For the 52 new things Joanne encourages you to consider travel, local stay-cation activities, new foods/recipes, experiences, personal development, learning/classes, restaurants, creative expression. She says to look to the scary and audacious. She also encourages to plan some and to being open for spontaneity. For me, it’s a lot about saying “yes”!
This 52 new things is challenge for me for 2 reasons:
- I’ve added many new things into life in the past 3 years (from yoga to blogging to Walk & Talks). Many of these things I love and want to continue which leaves less time for new.
- There is a balance of being in my comfort zone and risk taking. And I like being in my comfort zone a lot; new things are often risky.
But I thought… how hard could it be to do just one new thing a week? And as part of my retirement lifestyle activation (and continued personal growth), I really do want to be pushing myself outside my comfort zone. So I took it on… 52 new things in 2018.
For a mid-year status, so far this year (with Out of Comfort Zone items marked with a *):
- 2 Really Big Things – beat cancer (full set of radiation treatments) and joined Impact 100 Philanthropic group, including participating on a committee *.
- 6 New Fun Furnishings to continue setting up new house space – super-cute ottoman for my attic office, terracotta bowl for shell display, backyard fire-pit, backyard Adirondack chairs, and 2 new chairs for the living room.
- New Restaurants – 15 so far this year! I adore trying new restaurants and both my Mid-Week Foodie Friends and some Compatible Couples are always happy to come along! And yes, there were some new foods in there – the most audacious were pig’s eye * and pickled chicken heart *.
- 9 Experiences/Events – Art of Food, 12-Kitchens Charity event, glass blowing class, OTR tour *, event at new Shakespeare Theater, Carriage House Farm dinner, Mad Tree Community Yoga *, Dog Sitting *, Art Museum’s Terra-Cotta Army Exhibit.
- 7 New Lifestyle Elements – Thai Massage (multiple), 21-day meditation podcast *, explored Tarot, New Moon rituals, Mall walks, Cooking Club (Hello Fresh/Blue Apron), started Supplements (probiotics, glucosamine, biotin, Vitamin D).
- 8 Live Theater productions at Ensemble Theater and Playhouse in the Park (we have such great live theater locally!)
- Wrote multiple foodie reviews with a foodie friend (hoping to get published in local magazine).
- Car shopping by myself *; completed first draft of my book; and joined multiple blog-link-ups.
Hubby is encouraging me to try new things – new foods to eat, new experiences to try. And just knowing I’m keeping a list is empowering me to spontaneously try things (like eating a pig’s eye). It looks like hitting 52 new things this year won’t be as challenging as I thought!
What new thing have you tried this week?
Picture Credit: Pixabay